Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Ipod Arm Band

After I had my cute princess, I started running to lose weight, and I started running again after our last little munchkin was born. But to get me through those long miles I HAVE to listen to my music. And I don't know about you, but this is when I realized the serious lack of pockets on workout pants! I have nowhere to put my ipod except tucked in with the "twins" upstairs, and that becomes much too dark & sweaty for my poor ipod. So, I created an armband for myself out of some scrap fabric I had. I am not claiming to have invented this, I've seen them before. But if you have moderate sewing skills, this is how I made one!

I first laid out my ipod on a double layer of the fabric I wanted to use. I then cut with about 3/4" allowances on the sides and then measured 2X the length of the ipod plus approximately 1.5 inches. You will also need to cut an additional set of rectangles about 2.5 inches wide. For the length, measure the circumference of your biceps and subtract 2 inches. Now you are ready for sewing!

Start by putting your two larger rectangles, the pocket, right side together and sew all the way around the edge, leaving a one inch gap for turning. (I used 3/8" seam allowance). Then turn it right side out and press. Do the same with your band pieces.

Then do a top stitch 1/4" all the way around to give a nice uniform look and seal the openings.

Next, pin your arm band piece to the pocket piece starting about 1.5" from the top, centered in the middle. Sew a square with an X through it in the middle (not all the way to the edges of the pocket) to secure it to your "pocket" piece.

Now take your ipod and fold it in the "pocket" by folding your rectangle in half over it. Take two pins and mark on either side of where the headphones plug in at the bottom fold. Remove your ipod, open the fold and sew a button hole where you marked. Use a seam ripper to gently open the hole.

Next, you need a wide piece of ribbon, about two inches in length and secure it to the back, above where you just sewed the arm band. Now you will sew on your velcro. One piece to the end of your ribbon, the other to the "front" part of your pocket rectangle (the same side as the arm band, but the opposite end). This is also where I attached a bow, because I'm girly like that. But do as you wish!

Now you will actually create the pocket by folding your piece in half and sewing the sides closed. Be sure to leave your arm band free!

And for the finishing touch, take a 2" piece of elastic and attach it at either end of your arm band and VOILA! You are set for running in style with your music!

I hope that made sense! I love my arm band and if you decide to make one, I'm sure you'll love it too! Happy sewing!


7 comments:

  1. Love this arm band. So glad you started the ole bloggy. You need to add a follow button so I can be your first follower:> Love the blog name too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should link up to my party too!

    http://blissfulanddomestic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous. I need to make one....so will add it to my expanding list of projects. Really pleased to have seen you at Danielle's bloghop.

    New GFC follower
    Rosie
    http://craftbotics.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I checked out your blog too, look forward to more awesome craft ideas! I for sure know what you mean about the never ending project list!

      Delete
  4. That is the cutest ipod arm band I have ever seen. I see you just started blogging...me too! I look forward to following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is nifty!!! I wanna know how to sew!

    ReplyDelete